Monday, January 09, 2006

Black Monday

This past weekend was a tough one for this sports fan. On Saturday, Kentucky was flat out humiliated at Kansas 73-46. Luckily for me, I didn't watch the game live. I taped it since I was out Saturday morning. When I returned and had made it through the first five minutes, I knew it was going to be a long afternoon for my beloved Cats. I looked at Amy and asked her if it was worth it for me to spend the next two hours watching the impending debacle. She knew the outcome and just said, "No, it's bad." So I went about my day doing more productive things.

Hopefully the Cats will improve with the return of Randolph Morris tomorrow night against Vanderbilt. But I see a major reshuffling necessary to get this team playing as one and restoring its confidence. That was a team without the slightest inkling of confidence that lost to Kansas. A turnaround will be a major coaching feat for Tubby this year. Of course the naysayers are out in full force in the all-knowing message board universe. I hope he proves them wrong (again).

Sunday was supposed to be redemption day. My beloved Cincinnati Bengals were in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years playing their rival in the Pittsburgh Steelers. In explaining the importance of this game to Amy, I noted I was a sophomore in high school the last time this team had a winning record. I had suffered through 15 years of losing as I followed this team. Yesterday though I was ready with my trusty spot on the couch. Owen woke up from his four minute nap wanting to join me. We proceeded to watch the Bengals' Pro-Bowl QB go down on the second offensive snap of the game with a knee injury. Talk about deflating. The Steelers ended up pulling away in the second half as my Bengals lost 31-17.

To top off the football game, I'm heading to Pittsburgh tonight for work for a couple of days. I've always heard the mood in that city rises and falls with the fate of their Steelers. I'm looking forward to working with the IBM team there -- it is always good to talk to people face-to-face that you normally only deal with on email and phone calls. I just wish the football game had a different outcome.

If there's a light at the end of the sports tunnel our hometown Carolina Hurricanes are among the top teams in the NHL. Maybe being a hockey fan has been my calling all along.

No comments: