Thursday, July 24, 2008

Neil on Rose

This interview with one of the most fascinating living artists is incredible. Hat tip to my buddy Chris for sharing it. He points out, "Neil is one of a kind -- a crazy mad scientist. I love him." Indeed he is.

There are so many interesting discussions on a whole host of topics in here -- from music to his 30-year marriage with the same woman to energy independence to faith. Charlie explores them all.

Good lunchtime viewing.

16:00 - Young on the changing perspectives in life as you grow older and identifying with the things you've done in the past:

Young: I've heard Bob [Dylan] say he doesn't know the guy who wrote those songs anymore.
Rose: Do you feel that way about songs you've written?
Young: I understand what he was saying. I understand the feeling behind it. I look at it and I go, "Wow, I must have been in a really different place doing that." But I was, and that was it. I wrote those words, and I said that and I believed it.


37:00 - Young on the war in Iraq:

Rose:
Do you see w/ respect to the war, do you see the end?
Young:
The end of this war?
Rose:
Yeah.
Young:
The end of this war is when we solve the energy problem. This war is going on for a long, long time. This war will not go away until we figure out what we're doing on the planet. This is a bad war. That's how I feel.



46:00 - Young on learning faith after suffering a near-fatal brain aneurysm:

Rose:
What did the brain aneurysm teach you?
Young: It gave me more faith.
Rose: Did it really? Faith in...?
Young: I don't know. I have faith. I don't know what it is. I know there's a lot of stories. There's the Bible, the Koran. Everybody's got one. Everybody has a faith. And there are stories that have gone through the ages, and I respect all of them. But I don't know where I fit in. I just have faith. I believe in nature. I love nature. My church is my forest.


52:30 - Charlie closing the interview with this summation of Young:

Rose: If Bob Dylan had been for years our best guide to explore the complexities of human experience, Young may be the songwriter who expresses most eloquently the simple ties that bind us all.


No comments: