Thursday, June 23, 2005

A Roar with the Sunrise

It's 7:00am on Thursday and I find myself sitting here with the breast pump and the Thinkpad. I'm feeling like $1M this morning. Derek and I got just shy of 5 hours of sleep over night. That's compared to about 3 hours on an average night. I told the boys that babies 3 months old should sleep 8 hours during the night. They don't seem to be listening but we'll see what happens when the time comes.

The little guys will be waking anytime. It's an entertaining process. I think of Owen as a little monster. I imagine standing outside a cave hearing a rumble from the deep, dark opening. Suddenly the ground begins to shake, a roar pierces the air and a tiny little boy emerges. It's Owen and he's HUNGRY. Gus, on the other hand, is like the sun rising. Slow and steady. It's a gradual process but eventually it'll come full circle.

It's amazing how life has changed the last 6 months. I've gone from preparing outlooks, contract reviews and strategic planning to cleaning 'mud butt', calming fussing babies (at times this requires all 4 appendages), making gallons of breastmilk and holding in the 'Nuk' which is Owen's pacifier. To quote one of our favorite bands, 'Ain't life grand'. Yes, yes it is!

No comments: