Monday, June 25, 2007

Summer Read



Last week I experienced a luxury that is unfortunately all too rare around our house these days -- I finished a book. These days mine and Amy's free hands and attention are devoted to entertaining two little guys -- feeding, chasing, playing, etc. So last week I made myself stop & relax with The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. And what a tremendous book it was to read.



The story is of Amir, a boy who comes of age in Afghanistan in a priviliged family. He lives with his father, and they have two Shi'a servants -- Hazaras -- one of which Amir befriends, but only at arms-length due to the social structure in Afghanistan. Amir longs to impress his father, and will do anything to win his affections. An event occurs when Amir is young that haunts him for many years until he gets a chance at personal transformation.



That's all I'll say without ruining it for anyone. If you are looking for a good summer read, I highly recommend it. I know this book has actually been out for four years, and Hosseini actually released his second book recently. But I'm a bit behind on my reading for trying to keep 2 two year-olds from biting each other's arms off.



Cheers!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will second this recommendation. I read it last year and couldn't put it down. It's one of those that you sneak even a few paragraphs while no one is looking because you are so engrossed in the story.

Melanie

Anonymous said...

I finished reading this on your recommendation yesterday. What a great story. It works on a personal level as well as a historical and political level. I am definitely picking up his newest novel... thanks.

Chris L.